Tuesday 12 April 2011

Why Is This Florida Woman Adele Edwards Addicted to Eating….Sofa cushions?


I saw this story on another publication and didn’t think much of it. But, when I saw it on the Blaze, I figured the story definitely had legs.

As far as this strange addiction, I’m totally stumped besides the obvious psychological issue. However, it looks like this chic isn’t trying to get help for her problem. Besides, this is a society obsessed with attaining fame at any cost.

The Blaze reports that in the last year I’ve eaten seven sofas,” says Adele Edwards, who hails from Bradenton, Florida.
So what’s the deal with her sofa-eating addiction, which has plagued her for 21 years? She suffers from a rare disease known as “pica.” And if she keeps eating sofas, doctors say that she will die.
‘I unzip the cushions and snack on the foam inside. And once I start I just can’t stop.

‘But now doctors have told me that if I carry on, my addiction will kill me.’
Pica is a disorder found most commonly in toddlers and pregnant women who lack certain nutrients, causing them to crave non-nutritive substances like chalk, coins, batteries and even dirt.