Sunday 31 July 2011

Game addict Chris Staniforth, 20, killed by deep vein thrombosis playing too much Xbox

I stopped playing games (Sega game system) when I was twenty four years old. That was twenty four years ago and I thought I’d stopped at a late age. But, the game systems changed and I thought it was an opportunity for me to put away childish things.

I don’t get grown men playing video games.

The Sun

A LAD of 20 has been killed by a blood clot caused by playing his Xbox for up to 12 hours at a time.

A post mortem revealed that
Chris Staniforth - addicted to games such as Halo - had suffered a deep vein thrombosis. It can be triggered by sitting in one position for long spells.

Stunned dad David, of Sheffield, said: "He lived for his Xbox. I never dreamed he was in any danger.

"As a parent you think playing computer games can't do them any harm because you know what they are doing

"Kids all over the country are playing these games for long periods - they don't realise it could kill them."

Chris collapsed seconds after telling a friend how he had been experiencing a strange sensation in his chest.

The pair were chatting outside a JobCentre where Chris had an interview.

David said: "He told his friend how he was woken in the night by a strange feeling in his chest.

“Then he dropped a packet of chewing gum and as he picked it up, he jolted back and began to spasm."

Chris's friend called an ambulance - but paramedics could not save him.
A coroner yesterday confirmed DVT had caused Chris's death and it was cited on his death certificate.

More here