Thursday 16 September 2010

Tornado Hits Queens New York City, I Dead


I took me 4 hours to get home from work.

The announcer for the LIRR said multiple trees were down on the tracks so I knew it had to be a tornado.

In all of my years living in Queens, I never heard of a tornado hitting this area.

The New York Post reports a deadly tornado-like storm battered the city late this afternoon — snapping and uprooting trees and tossing them like twigs into cars and homes, authorities said.

One woman died at the height of storm in Queens, on Grand Central Parkway near Jewel Avenue, when a tree struck a car.

The Long Island Railroad suspended service west of Jamaica due trees on the tracks and a power outage stalled NJ Transit service, officials said.

A mass of frustrated commuters was left at Penn Station, where access was restricted because of the heavy crowds.
John Fable, 41, of Hicksville, a banker in Manhattan, was frustrated.

"They said there was a problem with trees across the track and then they brought us back to penn station," he said of his 5:51 p.m. ride home that got turned around.

He was back where he started at 6:30 p.m.

"It's rough because I have a second job i'm going to miss, but what are you going to do?"

Michelle Fraschelli, 41, who was trying to get to Huntington, said, "The LIRR has a lot of nerve, I'll tell you, they haven't told us anything in an hour. This is ridiculous."

Ed Baron, 57, of Bellmore, said he was on the train for 45 minutes.

"Secaucus Junction to Penn Station usually takes nine minutes," he complained. "I want to get home, but you have to take it in stride. I just wish they gave more information."

Subway lines including the 7, L and M experienced disruptions.

There also were long delays at the area airports.

"I seen the tree flying right in front of my car…it went right on by like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz," Jeffrey Greenburg, who was driving on the Grand Central Parkway near the fatal accident, told CBS news.

"Before before you know it, like half the trees were all over the road."


More details here

My train was sent back to Penn and trudged home on 3 different trains and a bus. But, I’m not complaining at all because my neighborhood suffered no damage at all.

The power of God is an awesome thing.



Don't Leave Without Clicking Other Great Stories in The Last Tradition. Tell two friends about this blog