Saturday 13 November 2010

Michigan Blind student (Mona Ramouni) uses a guide HORSE because her strict Muslim parents consider dogs unclean



I really wanted to poke fun at this story. But, having read it and contemplating it a bit, I’m happy for Mona.



Yes, a guide horse may be a strange sight, pardon the pun. If it helps blind Muslims, its all good.



Do your thing, girl!



The Daily Mail reports that as a blind Muslim woman, Mona Ramouni has had to make do without a guide dog her whole life.



The 28-year-old's strictly religious parents would not allow a dog in the house, considering the animal unclean.



But then Miss Ramouni stumbled across a website article about
miniature guide horses in April 2008.



'It was something that I never thought about for myself,' she said. The psychology student used three years of savings from her job at a Braille proofreading company to pay for a horse to be trained to act as her guide. Since welcoming three-year-old guide horse Cali into her Dearborn, Michigan, home last year, Miss Ramouni has seen her life turned around.



Cali measures about 2ft 6in tall and has been taught to stand still indoors. She also helps Miss Ramouni get out of vehicles and move through crowds.









Her proud mistress said: 'She is an awesome little horse. What I really want is to be able to take her places neither of us would have been able to go without each other.



'Before Cali, I had given up. I got to the point where I thought, 'I'm going to get nothing out of my life'. Cali has given me the confidence back I used to have as a kid.'



Born three months premature Miss Ramouni lost her sight shortly after birth.




More details here



That horse is adorable!



More info on Guide Horse Foundation here



Tell two friends about this blog