Friday 11 February 2011

Pepsi Super Bowl Commercial with Black Couple is not racist, it’s demeaning to men and glorifies domestic violence

I know I’m a little late here commenting on the controversy over this Pepsi commercial that aired during the Super Bowl.


Some critics’ claim that the ad had racial overtones to it or perpetuated the stereo type of the angry Black woman. I don’t believe it does. But, what I find objectionable is using domestic violence to be funny.

If the situation was reversed and it was the man kicking the women under the table or attempting to throw a can of Pepsi at her head, would that be funny? But, it’s okay for the man to be the recipient of the violence? How does that work exactly?

This brings me to my main opposition to not only this commercial but a plethora of ads that routinely portray men as weak, fools, stupid, the butt of junks, and otherwise not very manly.

I wouldn’t tolerate my wife kicking under the table, not even once. She’s not the kind of woman in the first place, and the second place we don’t have that kind of physicality in our relationship. In essence, the commercial is trying to use domestic violence as a platform for humor. And I don’t think that’s very funny.

Now if you want to see a funny commercial with a Black couple click here.